Saturday, November 17, 2012

Feeling good...

So, today I am trying to explain (in Spanish mind you) what Thanksgiving means.

I went to a store that I found out later on I wasn't supposed to go to..(Something about the American Government and the war on Drugs and there was a warning issued that I never saw) to buy some pumpkin.  Now I have been all over Corozal looking for pumpkin of ANY kind for our Thanksgiving.  I am not doing a big one this year, a small group of us gringo's are getting together to celebrate the day.  I bought the turkey from the butcher's last week, got the potatoes (both white & sweet) and I even found olives! But darned if I couldn't find pumpkin anywhere!  So my friend Donna, who is Canadian took me to this store that I won't name and I found the pumpkin and lot of other things you can't find around Corozal ordinarily....hmmm
Anyhow, we had gone to a barbecue for our neighbor's son, Alex, because he needed to do a fund raiser for school.  If you ever get invited to a barbecue in Belize, go!  It's really great food. I had talked Donna into going with us and she took me to the store.  I felt good taking her with us because she doesn't get to go on her own often and we found some stuff she wanted.
At the barbecue we sat with our neighbors, something we hadn't been able to do because of all the things going on in both our lives right now.  It felt good to get together with them and just share some time...I even found out their daughter Narina has her birthday on the same day as CJ's!
On the way home I saw a woman walking with her child, a little girl.  We pulled over (something we occasionally do around her, but we are picky who we will do this for) and offered her a ride to Copper Bank, she was on the way to Chenoix (Pronounced Che Nu Ish) which is the next town over from us.  But we would take her at least as far as Copper Bank.
When we got to the ferry there was a guy broke down who needed some help and we helped him with getting something done under his vehicle, so he was up and running.  It felt good to know that we were able to help because it meant that we now knew what tools to carry with us for just such emergencies!
When I went to get off the ferry there was some issues with the ferry (the water is low right now) where I got stuck, that same guy that we helped helped us get out of the small ditch that was there.
After getting back to Copper Bank we dropped off Donna and then went to our house where Charlie jumped out of the car and took the groceries in and told me to go ahead and take the woman the rest of the way to Chenoix....It felt good going down the road speaking in Spanish and trying to explain to her what Thanksgiving meant!   The air was cooler than normal and the sky was a pretty color of pink and her daughter was so cute, with a shy little smile telling me how she really doesn't like her brothers (what a shocker) and that she want "una regalada" for Navidad...I said only 1 present?  She said yes, because she didn't want Santa mad at her for asking for too much!
On the way back from Chenoix I was thinking...Geez, I feel good!   It's one of those days that make you feel good...like you did something for your neighbors and still came out and enjoyed each other.....Don't you find when you work together that it feels good?

By the way, on the way to Chenoix we got stopped by some Gringos who pulled us over to ask for directions.  Because I had been speaking Spanish with the woman he looked at me and asked me "Do you speak English?"  I didn't realize I had been telling him directions in Spanish! When I answered him with a straight face "Un Pocito"  and said, "You do see my NY plates on the car, right?" he laughed!  Another feel good moment!


No comments:

Post a Comment