Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Doctor flies

So here's the thing, where we live is near the lagoon and the bay and when it rains all kinds of insects come out, red ants, spiders, mosquitos, and doctor flies.  Now Belizian's have this great way of naming things.  There is a village that most of the other villages take their garbage to, it's called Dump.  There is a village called Crooked Tree, cause there is this big old tree in the center of town and it's crooked.  And there is a fly called a Doctor fly cause you get bit by it enough you gotta go to the doctor.  Now the Doctor fly just loves me. There is something about me that it just seems to come running too.  Bill, Jen and Charlie all noticed it last week when we were sitting on the porch and they were swarming me, I was used as bait and they had fun trying their general techniques on killing Doctor flies on me.  Woohooo, it was so much fun!
Anyways the really kewl thing about Doctor flies is that when they die all the ants come rushing in to take the doctor fly away.  I was amazed and amused for about 20 minutes watching this group of ants take this doctor fly off of our porch this morning, they even carried the fly vertical and got it down the steps.  How unique is that to have this group of insects working together to do this incredible feat.....
Is the heat getting to me?  No, I just think there is so much fascinating going on around me.  Like how the yellow bird comes out and sits by the front porch waiting for me to talk to it.....There's a set of Toucans across the bend and they hang out on the electric wire.  I saw a huge geico crawling up a post in the house next door and then there are the humans....good for watching!
Tomorrow is Belizian Independence Celebration and the whole village is all acting up.  The school is decorated and CJ decorated his bike for the parade in the morning around the village, then there is a parade and carnival in Corozol and something called a beach party.  The village doesn't ask you to go, they assume you know about it and expect you to be there so I am going to attempt to keep up...wish me luck!
Have you had time to watch the ants lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment