Friday, September 28, 2012

Mosquitoes (aka skeeters)


Finally I got something done in Belize!  The Belkin guy stopped by.  For those of you who don't know, Belikin is the beer company here, and it also is the Coco Cola Company ( they have the original recipe and make it here so Coke is relatively cheap, Pepsi on the other hand, is none existent!) and the Crystal water company.  Now, why is it so important to get the belikin guy to stop by?  Well, think of it this way, this week we had a small issue with the truck, and it's in the shop.  I can go to all the local stores and pretty much get immediate necessities, but water, which is essential, comes in big water jugs of about 5 gallons a piece....heavy carrying!  So to me, I can get by around here without the vehicle, there are buses that come and go from here to everywhere, even as far as Belize City!  And I can carry my big shopping basket and get things back ok, but I can't get one of those water jugs on the bus and carry it home.  Hence the need for the guy to know where you are.  It's simply a matter of survival.  But then I want to add that the water truck only comes once a week, and it's on Wednesdays, Beer gets delivered Tuesdays, thursdays and Saturdays....you can't say Belizians don't have their priorities right!!!
We finally found the church in Copper Bank.  Yes, there is a church and by the way, Belizians are not good on directions, they may point south but what they means is easternly.  It took us awhile but the teacher at CJ's school explained that it is hidden behind the health building and to the right of the community library.  (The community library was donated by an organization that runs it, I think it's a political one but I will get into that another time!)  The only time they have services here are on Sunday nights at 5.  Unfortunately it's over run with school kids and very few parents, mainly because the kids are required to go because the school is catholic.  The services are in Spanish.  After talking for quite a while about it we decided we would go to two masses on Sundays, the morning one in Corozol is in English and then we can hear the readings and figure out what we will be learning in Spanish that night.
Still have no word on our stuff leaving Houston,  it's hard to believe it was almost a month ago that we dropped it off!  But they still haven't shipped it yet and I am still living without furniture.  I am finding myself in this challenge of living and enjoying.  You really have to learn to overlook the bad things in life when you have this beautiful world just outside your door, no matter where you are!  Unfortunately I am having a hard time overlooking the mosquitoes since they seem to like me so much.  It's funny, Charlie, CJ, Jen and Bill laugh about it but they could be sitting right there with no skeeters and I've got six or seven eating me up alive.....I wonder if it's a chemical makeup thing?  How would you handle it if this was you?

No comments:

Post a Comment